Friday, July 11, 2014

Independence Day



The Fourth of July was a real celebratory time for my husband and me because our children, and grandchildren were vacationing with us for a week.   Attending the fireworks was a regular event when ours were growing up, so to have this time once more with our grown children, and now our grandchildren, made it even more special.

We settled on our blankets and were eager for the show to begin--it's not until around 915 that it's dark enough for the fireworks display to take place.  There was so much joy sitting in Prescott Park and watching our family, as well as many others, taking in such a spectacular night. It was only halfway through the event that I realized the flag in the foreground was flying at half-mast.  It was a moment of somberness as I wondered who it could be flying for.

The following day my daughter mentioned the flag had been at half-mast  for a 19 year-old New Hampshire Marine who had recently lost his life in Afghanistan. I paused as I thought of one so young sacrificing his life so that our family, and all those present in the park that night could enjoy such a tranquil and carefree evening.

For all those military men and women and their families who continue to give so much, I am truly grateful. The image of that flag flying at half-mast for that courageous young man will not be forgotten this Fourth of July, or any Fourth thereafter.

2 comments:

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I have noticed that this year, at the 4th and Memorial Day, much more has been said about remembering what these holidays stand for and not just the trappings of the day. I was glad to see these comments as I think, as a country, we have a tendency to forget. Beautiful, thoughtful post.

Penhallow Street said...

It is easy to overlook the meaning of certain holidays--reminders are always good :)