Friday, July 25, 2014

Sunday Afternoon




I think back to when I was of elementary school-age and recall Sundays being ever so long.  Everything stood still on Sundays--no stores were open, traffic was light in town, and few "if any" events took place. The town welcomed a day of leisure--it truly was a day of rest for the adults.  But like a young child who fights a nap because there's so much to do, I yearned for the busyness of Monday--looking back, it was the desired pace for one so young.

Now I look forward to Sundays.  I know each day is a gift, but so much these days is about being busy 24/7--it's hard differentiating one day's pace from another.  For a number of years now Sunday has been a "day of rest" in our home. It's exactly what the Divine Physician ordered--and I'm taking His advice.

Sunday meals are leftovers, or something equally as simple.  No laundry, no mowing, no cleaning--everything is put on hold.  It's a day where I look forward to quiet.  It may be visiting with family, taking a walk, riding a bike, reading a book, or just sitting and not being made to feel guilty--it's what the Doctor prescribed, so I can't be faulted.  Yes, there may be times when something demands differently, but unless it's an emergency, the "Closed" sign is in the window.

This past Sunday I picked up the colored pencils--it's been over a month now since I've done any drawing; as my daughter was involved in some hand sewing, I attempted sketching her.  I trying to finish up George MacDonald's Lilith--I've delved into a number of his books and adding more to my list: I can't get enough of his writing.  And then I worked a little bit on the Immaculate Heart embroidery--ugh, color is not an area I'm comfortable with and "long and short" stitches need waaaaaaaaaay more practice.

But it was Sunday.  It was a quiet day.  A restful day.  And after such a blessed breather, "I'm ready for you, Monday."

2 comments:

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Very insightful post. I think you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak, when you mention "guilt". It seems that by today's standards, if you aren't busy 24/7 you are somehow remiss. I remember those Sundays of my childhood -- they were so quiet and long and many times boring in my childish mind. However, that is when I would sit and read and never felt like I should be doing something else. I think that we should have more Sundays like that now. Why do we need it less now? I think we probably need it more. I feel our lives are so much more stressed now than they were then -- we should all harken back to those lazy, quiet Sundays and I think we would all do ourselves good if we put the technology aside for that one day. I love the sketch of your daughter, by the way.

Penhallow Street said...

Thank you, Boyette, for your always kind words about the sketch. It's hard to imagine now, that there ever was a day when everything was put on hold. Perhaps a younger generation will begin a movement to return to a day of rest--24/7 can't go on forever. And unplugging from technology for a day, it's the one thing we do have control over: the off button :)