Monday, August 4, 2008

Drawing: Enthroned Mother of God



I didn't start drawing nature until we began homeschooling our children. Part of their science studies was to keep a nature journal and I journaled along with them. There was an awakening to the beauty of life that surrounded me and I continued to draw nature even after they completed their home studies.

After a friend suggested I take an icon class, I still made time for my nature journal, but icons summonsed my heart in a different way. Perhaps Eric Liddel's "..., and when I run, I feel His pleasure," is the best way to describe it. To be in His will is enough.

My friend has been painting icons for years and as she paints, she offers prayers for friends and family. I wondered how many icons are bound with prayers as are hers. She remains a mentor to me as my eyes are opened more and more to the beauty of these "windows into heaven."

The Getty Museum offers a brief video excursion of The Holy Monastery of Saint Catherine at Sinai . Ah, someday maybe.

No comments: