
I have transferred my icon drawing of Saint Nicholas to the claybord and will begin painting this afternoon. The icon of the angel is one I worked up with colored pencil on mat board. I still struggle with understanding the whole process, especially layering of color and highlighting.
I read somewhere that it takes about 25 years to become a master iconographer. So that means, I have only about ummm, 24 more years to go. Perhaps patience is ONE of the many things I may learn after that much time.
Monastery Icons has an explanation of the techniques of Byzantine iconography. Another site that shows a bit of the process is Saint Gregory of Sinai Monastery. Leonid Ouspensky's icons are to be particularly enjoyed.
3 comments:
Hello, lovely work, especially Hail Mary, I love her expression... very inspiring.
All it takes is passion and patience like you said, so keep on practing and keep up the good work...I'll come back to see how Saint Nicholas turned out, I am sure it will be great
Oh bu the way, I'll put your link on my Blog, this way I'll visit you more often
Thank you for the encouraging words and for adding me as a link. It was very kind of you.
Post a Comment