Friday, January 18, 2008

New Baby



This baby doll is for the new grandchild who will be making an appearance come summer. Our granddaughters' dolls are named Flo and Mimi. There's something about a name that gives a doll life, especially when a child names it. It reminds me of the Ramona books that our girls used to read when they were little. I could certainly understand where a child would think Chevrolet a perfect name for a doll. My guess is our granddaughters will name the doll before the baby arrives.

My daughter introduced me to Waldorf dolls, and they are endearing little people. There's something about the facial features, or lack of features, that reminds me of Le Petit Prince. With dolls and a child's imagination, anything is possible.

Hand sewing works well for dolls. They seem to have more give with hand stitches. I used Valeris Ferrari's book for the pattern. Though for the life of me, I can't do the hair as she suggests. I find it's too tough to pull a needle through two layers of fabric. It's much easier on the fingers to make a wig and sew that to the head. I made embroidered buttons for the front of the doll and french knots for the quilt. Embroidery is softer and safer for young children and babies.

I have to admit, once you've made one of these dolls, you just want to try another. Hmm, perhaps the grandchildren's dolls need some friends.

No comments: