
My grandparent's legacy to their grandchildren was the gift of family. Their life revolved around family and a small island community. They led a simple life, a full life.
As a young child, I was always amazed at the way my grandparents would repair or refashion things that were broken or worn. They truly believed in waste not, want not. Christmas time was no exception. It seemed magical to watch an old wire clothes hanger and sawed off boughs from a "too tall for the house" Christmas tree become a wreath. My grandparent's house was simply decorated with little, if any, hint of commercialism.
The white pine that lines our driveway suffered with the first snowstorm in December. It seemed the broken limbs could be used for something. As I sat on the kitchen floor and wound white pine greens around an old wire hanger, I thought of my grandparents. It would have been easier, and time wise, more efficient for me to purchase a wreath. But when I was through, I recalled my grandparent's simple approach to life. They would be pleased.

3 comments:
Lovely wreath!! and yes, that's what we did with the unneeded christmas tree branches.....
I am so touched by your art and your simple life philosophy! You made my day. Lisa
Thank you Lisa!
Post a Comment