For many summers throughout my childhood, our family would make a day-trip to the Shoals-- one outing was via a boat my father built, but that's a whole 'nother story.
When our children were growing up, we took them on the ship that would take them around the islands, unfortunately during their childhood years, you were no longer able to dock and visit the main island. But Star Island is once again open to the public--you not only can visit the Island for the day, but stay at the hotel as well.
When we left the mouth of the Piscataqua River, it was being that child all over again--especially seeing Fort Point Light and Fort William and Mary from the waterside. I never had an appreciation for the beauty of the island where I grew up until viewing it from the river as an adult. About an hour later, and 10 miles out, we were at the Isles of Shoals and making our way onto the island.
Photos do a better job of telling about our day than I ever could. The weather was ideal, the smell of the ocean intoxicating, and the barren rocks as white as I remembered. I imagined myself as the one hanging out sheets all day just for the chance to gaze out on White Island Light.
The islands have much history and legend about them, but it's your own history that begins when you set foot on the islands. The Shoals are a gem in the sea--a gem that shines bright in my childhood memories and in my heart.








2 comments:
Absolutely gorgeous! I will be sharing your photos with my daughter. She will love them.
Hi Melissa, I hope your daughter enjoys the photos. There's something about water--be it a fountain, a lake, a river, an ocean--even the Bean's kiddie pool :)--water's calming and relaxing :) Bonnie
Post a Comment