Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Juno
We've been out shoveling and snow-blowing for 2+ hours, though we are only halfway through Juno. Blizzards were just blizzards when I was growing up, but they seem more impressive now they're formally named, or maybe the naming is to make them appear more personable :) .
My husband and I will be doing more snow removal early tomorrow morning, but for now thought I'd do a quick sketch of the woods while supper is heating. Wish there was a way of putting sound to this drawing as the wind howls and the snow dashes about.
Thank goodness power is still with us--warm soup will be welcome after such a chilly work-out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love the sketch -- it reminds me of an illustration in a children's book -- something like "Little House" books. I am so sorry you have had to go through this horrible weather. I can't imagine having to live with all that snow! Stay warm and safe -- it will go away!
Thank you, Melissa, and presently I feel as if we're living in a Little House winter ;). Garth Williams line drawings are wonderful--his Stuart Little illos are captivating.
I loved reading the Little House books to our children when they were young, and our grandchildren enjoyed reading them as well.
I was surprised when I mentioned the books to a classroom one day and only one child had heard of the series. I always thought them a classic and they gave you an appreciation for life on the prairie. Garth's illustrations complimented the series, although are they using his covers anymore? Hope things are warmer where you are.
Things are, indeed warmer here but we still have the cedar heavy in the air and that is a problem. It will be a couple of weeks before it is gone and I can't wait. Speaking of Garth Williams -- I have a friend here in Dallas -- well, he was a friend of my father's first -- and he collects Garth Williams sketches and doodles. He is an art dealer and appraiser and has access to those sorts of things. I would love to see his collection one day. Did I ever tell you that my father was a cartoonist? He drew for several of the major comic publishers.
Hopefully the cedar will end soon for you-but at least you have the benefit of warm weather.
No, you never mentioned your father was in cartooning--that's fascinating. You said he was an artist, but not that it was his work. What was the cartooning that he did? You must have enjoyed watching him create. I'm anxious to hear more.
How wonderful if you could make arrangements to see Garth's works. Does he ever exhibit his collection anywhere? It would be a show worth seeing.
Post a Comment