Saturday, January 25, 2014
Wrong Way
There have been occasions when I believed I was headed in the right direction, but doubt sets in when the signs for upcoming towns shouldn't be cropping up en route. Turning around isn't a consideration, because so much time has already been spent traveling in the wrong direction. And then there's the misguided notion, that I'll be able to get my bearings and set on the correct path once I come to the end of wherever the road leads.
Halfway through copying one of Michelangelo's works, it became obvious I had gone off track. Drawing can be so absorbing in a pleasurable way, that it's easy to course off in the wrong direction for far too long--and of course turning around? Ugh, not after all the time invested. And yes, then there was the hope that I could somehow make it right by continuing down the wrong path.
There is a positive side to my being off course I suppose. What did become apparent was my need to devote more time to proportions, the practice of facial features and modeling--oh, and drapery is a real bugbear for me. A lot comes to light when I review where I've been--or should I say where I should have been.
I'll put this drawing aside and start another. One thing driving and drawing do have in common--you arrive somewhere, even if it's not quite where was originally intended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Lovely drawings -- I can't draw, even though I am the daughter of an artist, but I am a doodler and so many times I set out thinking that I am doodling one thing and it turns out to be something completely different! Sometimes it completely surprises me! I so enjoy your drawings, whether they are right or wrong -- very nice.
Thank you Boyett--you always leave such complimentary comments! Some wonderful ideas spring from "doodle" drawings--enjoy it for the art form that it is and keep going. The grandchildren would probably love doodling right alongside you. Post theirs and yours on your blog sometime--it would be fun to see :)
Post a Comment