Monday, July 2, 2012

New England Buckmoth: Hemileuca lucina


Our grandchildren were visiting last September and time with nature is always on the docket.  On one of our afternoon walks, we came across this New England Buckmoth at the end of its day--sad to say, for some adults in the insect world life is fleeting.  The moths of the Saturniidae family are not as frequently seen as butterflies--especially the ones that are nighttime fliers. Buckmoths are day-time fliers and once the female mates and lays her eggs, her lifespan is complete.

My daughter told me to keep this moth until I had chance to sketch it.  I procrastinated and didn't get around to drawing it until the other day.  Now time's taken its toll--one of the antennae is missing, the wings are brittle and faded, and the rust colored hairs--that few that do remain--are barely visible.  None the less,  I boxed it up today and sent it off for their butterfly and moth collection--they only gather those that have given up the ghost. 

I'm thankful the grandchildren appreciate the outdoors and new discoveries.  Nature's never about re-runs, similar appearing maybe, but always new.

No comments: