Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Storm on the Sea of Galilee




A little watercolor study from the Hitda Codex:  Storm on the Sea of Galilee.

It occurred to me as I was working on this that I could've been any one of the disciples on the ship with Christ.   There are 12 on board, but some are most hidden--maybe cowering as I would have been in what seemed inevitable: their impending doom.  I especially identify with the disciple who is waking Christ because, "Master, do you not care that we are about to perish?"

There are numerous times I too have uttered, "Christ,  do you not care that...." ( fill in the blanks). Mine are the grasping fingers of Doubting Thomas, reaching out to wake him because I fear he is asleep and unaware of circumstances that are a concern for me.  It's always later, sometimes much later, that I know full well that "he was always in the boat with me."

Soldiering on with faith.




No comments: