Friday, April 10, 2015

Drawing










Every so often I'll drop in on my daughter at her studio to do a little drawing, or embroidery. She's working, so I have no problem being very silent and find peace listening to the rushing river outside the old factory.

When I'm there, I always take the angel statue down from the shelf and spend a little time sketching.  Degas had his ballet dancers; Monet his haystacks;  I have an angel statue.

I found this in a collector's shop a number of Christmases ago and thought it would be a piece she would enjoy having in her studio.  I believe its papier mache and was a study for an altar piece. It's a bit old and has numerous cracks, but it adds to its history.

Haystacks, ballerinas, statues; there's always something that speaks to the heart and when it does, you just want to draw it--or in my case, keep drawing it.

4 comments:

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Beautiful drawings -- I wish I had the talent. The best I can do is a Berenstain Bear-like tree and a whmsical bird!

Penhallow Street said...

Thank you, Melissa.

There's nothing wrong with a Berenstain Bear-like tree, especially when there's a whimsical bird in there too :)

It's all about the joy you have when you are drawing--keep on going!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You know, Bonnie -- back in the day my dad tried to get me draw but I always swore I couldn't do it and never tried. Now having sat for many hours drawing with the Bean I have come to realize that a lot of drawing is a bit subjective. While it might not look like another drawing that doesn't mean it is bad. When I started realizing this I began to enjoy trying and was surprised that I could actually product something that was recognizable -- like a tree. Or a silly bird. Then I started looking at Pinterest and such places and realize that art is really how you see it. Now, I will never have the talent that I see in your drawings I do get enjoyment out of trying. I was surprised when some of my dad's artists friends wanted to see my drawing as well as my children's and when I responded that I couldn't draw my daughter corrected me -- publicly -- which really surprised me. Maybe I am not as bad as I thought! However -- trees are HARD! No pun intended!

Penhallow Street said...

I agree: trees "are" hard and even harder to draw ;).

I just finished reading Art and Fear and one of the quotes in the book that really stayed with me was "Whatever you have is exactly what you need to produce your best work."

I do like what you said about "getting enjoyment out of trying." In the end, that's what motivates me too.

I wonder if your Dad thought that you would pick up that pencil someday and find pleasure in drawing as he did.

Keep on going, Melissa! I can't write to save my life, but if I didn't keep trying, I wouldn't be blogging :)