Monday, July 15, 2013

:)


Google made reference to Rembrandt's 407th birthday.  I imagine you could celebrate your birthday in whatever way pleases you if you reach 407.  I tried sketching some of Rembrandt's etchings and drawings and was amused by this particular self-portrait.  Was he the type of man that would put a smiley face at the end of his correspondence? 

St Teresa of Avila wished to be spared of dour saints, and St Therese of Lisieux, one of my favorite saints, would in good humor imitate individuals' mannerisms that she found amusing.  As a family we had a tendency to laugh at ourselves first, because there was plenty there we could either choose to cry about, or laugh about--guess that's a healthy thing. 

My icon teacher told us that our work was serious, but not to take ourselves too seriously. It might be why I can relate to this sketch of Rembrandt.  He took his work seriously, but maybe not himself too seriously.

Happy Birthday, Rembrandt :)

No comments: