
Periodically my sister and I would rummage through the attic and dig out my parent's box of photos. My mother didn't quite understand our interest in family, or friends that were before our time, but she'd sit with us for awhile and share anecdotes about the ones she knew. Once my mother told us a little bit about their lives, these people were no longer unknown. They were someone.
The saints became real for me when I began reading Butler's Lives of the Saints. It's a bit like digging through that box of photos in my parent's attic. The saints encountered many of the same sufferings, hardships, and losses that families encounter in their daily walk through life, yet grace was, is, always there to see them through.
4 comments:
~Thank you my Dear Friend~
I am going to find this book right now~
I will order a copy for my Mom too~ She will love it~
As, I am starting to paint more & more religious figures~
I have been wanting to learn more about them~
My Mom has asked me to paint St. Anthony for her~
~Penhallow~ you have been such an inspiration for me~
~Every time I come here I leave with something wonderful to add to my art & life~
~You are a gentle teacher~ Thank You~
oxox~Amy~
Hi Amy! I am always touched by your charity and kindness--thank you. I hope your mother enjoys the book. It's a wonderful introduction to the saints. I'm curious, does she have a devotion to Saint Anthony? I've enoyed your angel paintings and will now look forward to seeing Saint Anthony. Please post pictures of your progress along the way. What a beautiful Christmas present that would be. Blessings!
You would like my little mommy~
You two could talk for hours~
I have told her about you.
Anyway, she first asked for a portrait of St. Frances. Then she said but, I am always asking for St. Anthony to help me find things, daily.
~But, she really has a devotion with St. Gerard~ for as long as I can remember she has given blessed St. Gerard metals to women who have had trouble getting pregnant or carrying their child to term.
They have worked.
My mom is a beautiful, kind lady, who loves her religious life,her rosary,it is just part of her.
~Amy~
Hi Amy! I feel as if I already know your mother. Women of faith, like her, were a beacon that helped me come into the church. How wonderful that she was able to introduce women to Saint Gerard. Hmmm, maybe a painting of both Saint Gerard and Saint Anthony : ) Please tell your mother I will be with her at the tabernacle when we're praying the rosary. What a joy! Blessings to you and the family.
Post a Comment