Friday, May 30, 2008

Martha


As a young mother, there were days when I felt I didn't devote enough time to any one person, or any one thing. I was seeking advice from my mother-in-law during one of her annual visits. I knew she'd have some sage words to offer where she had raised a family of eight. I'm certain I was probably reciting a litany of things that I couldn't accomplish and was a bit bewildered. Her peaceful response was not what I expected. "But you have an eternity."

When God sends someone to deliver the 2 X 4, all words cease. My guess is I looked very much like Mary as she sat at Christ's feet. Yes, I was, and still am at times, the Martha running around wondering why everyone else doesn't see the importance in what I'm doing. The world has its own time table and eternity just isn't part of its vocabulary.

My husband and I have entered a new phase of our life and many hurdles weren't anticipated. Family remains the most important thing and I wonder how we will fit everything in. But when we attend Mass tonight to receive our Lord in the most Holy Eucharist and sit before him during Adoration, I know I will be pondering his words. " ..., Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things . But one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the best part...

4 comments:

Laurel Neustadter said...

Beautiful drawing and an inspiring post.

Penhallow Street said...

Thank you Laurel. I had just been over to your blog and saw the portrait of your son. Only with a mother's eye, can you create such beauty. Simply lovely!

Lorie McCown said...

wow, what a lovely post, and yes, we all, especially mothers fall into the Martha mode. Your drawing is sublime.

Penhallow Street said...

Thank you for the kind words Lorie.